I feel my time ticking faster here than ever before. ("like sand through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives..." Thank you midday soaps the summers that I had a paper route...)
I make the practice of thanking God for every remaining second here daily so that I don't miss a step of the rest of my time.
It's May already and I feel like I just got here. Certain things are hitting me- broad-siding me, more like. For example, I went away for semana santa and came back to Lleida to find all the stark trees by the river flooded with little green buds. I went to Paris and when I came back, it was basically summer here! The seasons changed so quickly! One of my roommates already moved out (Mercè) and another one moves out next week (Ginna). My classes are almost done and then I have exams and then...and then...I leave. My wedding dress is ready (almost) for the final fitting/alterations and Fer & Mariana are working with me to find a date to have my Spanish/Erasmus version of a bachelorette party ("despedida de soltera") and we're running out of dates because people are either LEAVING leaving (as in, goodbye Lleida) or leaving/traveling.
So, what have I done so far this May that has been fun (or not so fun)?
I finally conceded to do this "round table" discussion for the Europe Day (Día de Europa) and I had to talk about my impressions of the EU from an American standpoint...(√ not so fun)
I went to class every day and taught English as per usual.
I read a book for fun ("The Sacred Marriage" -great book for Christian couples! Comes with a "highly recommend" stamp from me)
Next week I'm planning to visit the English classroom called "The Yellow Submarine" at Maristes (the school where I lead conversation groups)- so that should be revolutionary and give me great ideas! I'm really excited to see how Jordi teaches in there.
I saw the "gigants" (giants) and the "cap grossos" (big heads) and the "drac" (dragon) walk/dance/pass through the plaza de la Paería last night and we watched Lleidatanas dance the "sardana" (typical dance of Lleida). Later we went to a University party at the Agronomy campus of the UdL. The band "Pegatina" played and we all danced like hippies (looking at our feet, hands up in the air = quite fun and quite hippie) in the sprinkling rain and heat of the night. Wow, it even sounds more hippie than it was.
Tonight I head to Artesa de Segre (Ginna's hometown in the province of Lleida, about 45 minutes away by bus) and I'll stay with her this weekend! Tomorrow is her little brother's (Lluís) first communion- which translates to "giant ordeal" over here. I'm excited to be invited and I'm excited to have a weekend in a small town with my small friend Ginna. She's tiny. She weighs 40 kilos.
Life is good here in Lleida, my friends. It's very good. It's also HOT. It was about 80 on my walk to school this morning. Doesn't sound too shabby, but there's no AC in the University, so it is a bit harsh.
I'll try to post a video of the Paería excitement (giant heads, giant people, dancing, dragon, etc.) when I get home (that's where the camera is).

3 comments:
I can totally imagine you dancing with your hands up in the air and your head looking at your feet. Almost like Charlie Brown but with flowers in your hair.
you've done lots this May... and it's sweet that you get to go see some actual families and be at a big family even like that! enjoy!
I would just like you to know that it was 102 degrees here today...and has been for the last week!
Post a Comment