I tried to shower the first morning I woke up in my piso. That was Wednesday. The pull-top on the main faucet that re-routes the water up to the spray nozzle of the shower was broken clear off. Thus, that morning and the following two days I had to sit on the tub floor and ladle water onto myself (did I mention there was no drain cover to plug the tub so I couldn’t actually “draw a bath” and have it stay in the tub? Well there is, I just hadn’t found it yet.) I realized that with 5 people using that shower, it wasn’t the most efficient use of time or water. So I called the landlords and they had some people call me and then those people arranged to come today (Friday, even though I’m posting this later) to fix everything. El grifo (in the shower), la caldera (water heater- just the pressure reader), y el _____ (fan above the stove- completely covered in grease that is now dripping all over the counter top-it has a specific name).
In come these two men, fifteen minutes early (wow)- Jesús and Antonio and they are both ½ way done with the smokes they have in their hands. Where’s the code of conduct for that? Who said anyone could ever just walk into my living space while smoking a cigarette? I’m pretty sure most people don’t allow that- but maybe that is my cultural bias. I’m very glad for the American movement for more bars that ban smoking inside and/or within 50 (or is it 100?) feet of the front door, but that doesn’t help me here. I clearly needed their help for the fixing and part replacement of the grifo, but I did not welcome their smoking…So eventually I make a joke about how rude they were just waltzing in here smoking like that and Antonio got serious and asked “you don’t smoke?” and when I said no, he was really embarrassed. I suppose they don’t just walk in to everyone’s place like that. After that, they always went down ½ a staircase to smoke (didn’t help, but it was the thought, I guess.)
It was 3 before the new pressure meter came for the water heater and about 4 for the grifo to be replaced. They totally replaced the tub fixture and now it only has the shower function, which is fine, it just might take longer to draw a bath from the shower head (if I ever take one). The fan over the stove won’t be replaced until Monday at the earliest. Yarg. Then again, I’ve walked all over this city and taken the bus too and haven’t seen one single hardware store. I would see it if there were one, because I want to hang things on the wall and I will need a hammer for that. All in all, I was impressed by how quickly it all happened – only a few hours to fix almost everything I asked about! What’s more, my móvil rang a few times to arrange the whole thing! It’s pretty exciting to actually have my phone ring. No one knows me yet and I’ve only given my number to 3 people here (2 flatmates and Elisa, the Italian who isn’t living with us), so it’s kind of an adventure to answer and see who it might be!
I tried out the shower nozzle and it’s beautiful. The water pressure is great and steady and it is hot and cold respectively. I think this shower is the nicest I’ve experienced in Spain thus far of all my living situations. Now that it works, that is. Carmen’s was itty bitty (back in ’02) and the home stay back in ’99 I don’t remember but it didn’t have a glass door, and the shower this last summer trip ’07 with GRCHS kids my homestay with the chaperones had stand up showers that were little cubicles in the corner and didn’t allow for much movement and no place to prop your leg to shave. So, yes, this is the most luxurious of all showers thus far in Spain. Hip hip!
30.8.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment