30.8.08

style

Spanish style has always interested me. The first night I was here in Lleida, I watched people from a table at “HappyRolls” (when I asked the owner what the name came from he said it was like “cinnamon rolls like they have in America” he said, but he changed it to “happy” because he liked it better!) I saw some of the oddest, most daring clothing I’ve ever seen. Mind you, I’m a (was and will be anyway) a high school teacher, so it doesn’t make my jaw drop like it used to, but what is worn here would never fly back in Grand Rapids, MI. Everything from hairstyles (dreadlock mullets, no lie), to shoes (I barely believe what I see sometimes), to coverings on the bottom half of people (I’m actually a fan of the man-pri (a manly(?) version of the Capri), but the low-crotch hammer pants on the ladies are new to me every time they walk by. It just proves that style is a concept that exists only where people see one another and decide to care. Honestly, someone probably had a slip up of the scissors one day and got a mullet and someone else thought they were a trendsetter and went in and asked for “what that guy got.” That spreads to girls and then people with dreads decide to shave their entire head except for the 9 dreads hanging out the back. Wow.

I have to make mention of the sweet deals here though. In America, from time to time you’ll get a good deal, almost a steal, on some great clothing article, but there is nothing like REBAJAS. The clothes go on sale, then on sale again, and again until they are gone. What this means for people with hips (soy yo) is that when the sizes that don’t fit normal tiny Españolas go on sale and on sale again, they keep going on sale until someone buys them. Enter Melissa. I had to kill time the first night I was in Lleida b/c my flatmate Mercé and her boyfriend Cristian couldn’t get there until 9 while I had arrived on the AVE (SO much fun, hold on to your hats 300 km/hr! AND I got to watch “Las hermanas Bolena” con Natalie Portman) from Madrid at 1:30. So I had no place to put my luggage (thanks to my kind Arabic neighbor, I found a place), but then I had a solid 7.5 hours to wander. So, I shopped a little. I bought 2 pairs of pants and they each cost only 5 euros. Now, take into consideration that the euro is strong and the dollar is weak, but still…approximately $8 for a pair of pants? And they are cool, too. I probably didn’t mention that. That costs 8 bus rides. Cheap pants, son.

Shopping here though is tough. I’m not talking clothes shopping, I’m talking shopping like you would do at Target or Meijer- a one stop get it all and throw it in the car and go home and unload kind of shopping. Here, there are many small shops each specializing in their thing. So, to buy a hairdryer I have to go to a hair shop. I found one tonight though, so I’ll get it there tomorrow. To buy folders and pens I have to go to a paper store (papelería for my GRCHS kids). Today, while I was on the other side of town and my feet were killing me because I chose the wrong shoes (style over comfort), I stumbled (maybe literally) over a “hipercor” -which means they sell groceries PLUS other things. I went inside and found all sorts of great buys like trashcans (I live in a VERY slightly furnished flat, mind you) and hangers and lotion and hairspray and clothespins and socks. Now we’re talking. So, after looking at all of my wonderful options, I realized I had to carry it all the way back home. I live on the other side of the city, so ~20 minutes walking (then again, blistered feet plus the weight of the purchases, ~35 min). I saw a Tropicana brand orange juice and I grabbed it, thinking about my long walk home and the horrid Don Simón juice I had bought the day before and the very same Don Simón that had disappointed me royally at breakfast that morning. I got out the door and saw a bus! Thanks be to God. I sat and waited for the bus while drinking OJ straight from the carton. Let’s not judge here. You have no idea how difficult it is to find a marca (brand) that you know and recognize and love. I got on the bus and it felt so good to not be on my feet that the stop I should have gotten off at passed me by and I thought “oh well, there might be one closer to my place.” Well, there wasn’t. I rode that bus for the next 40 minutes…oops. All the way around to my stop again. The Tropicana was really good, the bus ride made me sleepy, and after sleeping only 3 hours the night before – trying to accustom myself to the noisy street sounds and the jet lag- a “siesta” sounded great. BUT instead I got a phone call from an Italian girl, Elisa, who was looking for a place to stay in Lleida. She had just gotten here from…guess. Italy. I met her at the train station and showed her the joint. She was very sweet, but she had a flat in mind that was closer to Rectorat and Cappont campuses. So after all that, I got my nap.

Anyway, back to style (I just typed Andyway b/c my fingers are accustomed to typing Andy (my boyfriend) I changed it, but over explained it as means of a shout-out to him). Puma is huge here. Who knew? Well, just so happens I have a MEGA Puma bag that I used to transport many important things to Spain and I use daily as a purse. Well that’s just great, since I’m not getting a dread mullet or low-crotch hammer pants.

2 comments:

bethanyjoy said...

I can't write "Chris" without making it "Christ"; I can't write "America" without first typing "AmeriCorps" or at least "AmeriCa" and then backing up to correct it.

Andyway, thought you might enjoy my little detail.

Andy Allen said...

I appreciated this blog. Maybe my narcissism kicked in a bit but nonetheless, I appreciated it. And who knew that your Puma bag would not get made fun but instead, be praised?! That's big time.